Etienne Gaudrain, Researcher
Lyon Neuroscience Research Center, CNRS UMR 5292, Inserm U1028, Université Lyon 1
Auditory Cognition and Psychoacoustics,
University Medical Center Groningen, ENT Department,
University of Groningen, Research School of Behavioral Cognitive Neuroscience,
Phone: +31 5036 13290
Auditory Cognition and Psychoacoustics (CAP)|
Lyon Neuroscience Research Center (CRNL – CNRS UMR5292)
Centre Hospitalier Le Vinatier - Bâtiment 462 - Neurocampus
95 boulevard Pinel
69675 Bron Cedex
UMCG, Afdeling KNO
PO Box 30.001
9700 RB Groningen
Physical address (if you want to pay a visit)UMCG, ENT Clinic, Hanzeplein 1, 9713 GZ Groningen (on Google Maps)
- 2014/11 — present
- 2014/10 — present
- 2012/09 — 2014/10
- 2010/01 — 2012/08
- Cambridge University Hospitals (Addenbrooke’s Hospital), in order to have full access to the Emmeline Centre for Hearing Implants.
- 2008/01 — 2009/12
- 2004/10 — 2007/09
PhD – Neurosciences Sensorielles, Comportement, Cognition (UMR 5020), CNRS – Université de Lyon, France .Supervisors: Nicolas Grimault and Jean-Christophe Béra. Title: “Role of auditory streaming for concurrent voices segregation.” My thesis work was an effort to adapt the Auditory Scene Analysis theory from psychoacoustics to speech perception. The first step has been the design and validation of an objective method to evaluate pitch based streaming with vowels. Spectral and temporal pitch cues have then been manipulated and investigated using spectral smearing, noise-band vocoders and Straight. Most of the work has been performed in collaboration with Eric W. Healy (Department of Speech and Hearing Science, Ohio State University, USA). The thesis is available at tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00280604/fr/ (mostly in French).
- ERA-NET CoSySpeech, Groningen (2021, €844,000), partner, coordinator: Sarah Verhulst, University of Ghent.
- Sonova, Switzerland (2019), co-applicant with Deniz Başkent, University of Groningen, and Gonca Sennaroǧlu, Hacettepe University.
- A_LEA, AAP CNRS Interdisciplinarité, Lyon (2018, €13,000), co-applicant with Olivier Crouzet, Université de Nantes.
- PhD grant CeLyA, Lyon (2016), co-applicant with Etienne Parizet, LVA, INSA, Lyon.
- VICI Grant of the Dutch Research Council (NWO) (2017, €1,500,000), main applicant: Deniz Başkent, University of Groningen.
- 2+2 PhD grant from Advanced Bionics GmbH and Faculty of Medical Sciences, Groningen (2014, €265,000).
- Travel grant from the Association Francophone de la Communication Parlée (2009, €130).
- Travel grant from the Guarantors of Brain to attend Interspeech 2009 (£300).
- Travel grants of the Société Française d’Acoustique for the 151st ASA meeting (2006, €900) and for the 10th Congrès Français d’Acoustique (2010, €450).
- Doctoral grant of the Région Rhône-Alpes, 3 years (2004-2007, 3 × €30,000).
- Acoustical Society of America since 2006.
- Société Française d’Acoustique 2004-2012.
- International Speech Communication Association in 2009-2010.
Responsibilities and Services
Ad-hoc reviewer for:
- The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology
- Ear and Hearing
- Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics
- Scientific Reports
- Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience
- Attention, Perception and Psychophysics
- Music Perception
Organisation of meetings:
- 12th Speech in Noise Workshop, University of Toulouse (2020).
- 11th Speech in Noise Workshop, University of Ghent (2019).
- 10th Speech in Noise Workshop, University of Glasgow (2018).
- 9th Speech in Noise Workshop, University of Oldenburg (2017).
- 8th Speech in Noise Workshop, UMCG, Groningen (2016).
- 17th International Symposium on Hearing, UMCG, Groningen (2015). ISH is one of the most prestigious conferences on hearing.
- 3rd Meeting for Young Researchers in Hearing, Musical acoustics and Audio signal, Lyon (2006). This meeting takes place every 18 months and gathers about 50 PhD French-speaking students working in fields related to auditory perception. My responsibilities involved co-direction of the organisation committee, accountings, and website.
- Working group Visioconferencing, CRNL (2020).
- Working group Human auditory research facilities, CRNL (2014-2016).
- Postdoc representative at the IT Steering Group, MRC CBSU (2012).
- Implementation and maintenance of the Acoustic Scale Wiki (http://www.acousticscale.org/), CNBH, Cambridge (2008).
- Student representative at the laboratory committee, UMR 5020, Lyon (2007).
Teaching and Supervision
PhD Student supervision:
- Moïra-Phoebé Huet, Lyon Neuroscience Research Center (2016-2019).
- Nawal El Boghdady, University Medical Center Groningen (2014-2018).
- Jeanne Clarke, University Medical Center Groningen (2012-2016).
- Pranesh Bhargava, University Medical Center Groningen (2012-2016). Defended 26 September 2016.
- Floris Rooteveel, Biomedical Engineering Bachelor student, University Medical Center Groningen (2018).
- Martin Lenglet, Biomedical Engineering Master student, Phelma, INP, Grenoble (2018), co-supervised with Olivier Macherey, Gaston Hilkhuysen, LMA, Marseille.
- Victor Fletcher, Biomedical Engineering Bachelor student, University Medical Center Groningen (2017).
- Thirsa Huisman, Biomedical Engineering Master student, University Medical Center Groningen (2017).
- Sem Foreman, Life Science and Technology Bachelor student, Honours College Groningen (2016), co-supervised with Olivier Crouzet, University of Nantes.
- Michael Chesnay, Biomedical Engineering Master student, University Medical Center Groningen (2014).
- Lucas Stam, Biomedical Engineering Master student, University Medical Center Groningen (2013-2014).
- Su Li and Vin Shen Ban, Neuroscience undergraduate, Part II Research Project, University of Cambridge (2009).
- Alessandro Binetti, summer student, Centre for the Neural Basis of Hearing, Cambridge (2008).
- Guillaume Detta-Colli, Cognitive Science undergraduate, MSc Research Project, Université de Lyon (2007).
- Speech signal processing in Matlab, Master of Acoustics, Université Lyon 1 (2015-2021).
- Speech Perception, M.Sc. of Behavioural, Cognitive Neurosciences, University of Groningen (2013-2019).
- Signal and Hearing, M.Sc. of Applied Cognitive Sciences, Université Lyon 2 (2005-2006).
- Acoustics and Continuum Mechanics, B.Sc. of Mechanics, Université Lyon 1 (2005-2006).
- Acoustics and Hearing, lectures for Sound Technicians, Grim-Edif, Lyon. (2005-2006).
- Signal Processing (Matlab), M.Sc. of Mechanics, Université Lyon 1 (2005).
- Communication Technologies, B.Sc. of Psychology, Université Lyon 2 (2004).